Pokémon Regional Championship FAQ
I have never played in a Pokémon tournament, where do I start?
The first step in participating in a Play! Pokémon event such as a Pokémon Regional Championship is to set up a Pokémon Trainer Club account, which allows you to attend and earn Championship Points and Play! Points.
Once logged in, the next step is to create a Pokémon Player ID, which is used to track your progress, rewards and achievements in Play! Pokémon events. To do this:
- Complete the instructions found on this document in order to create your Player ID
- Congratulations! You are ready to register to play in Play! Pokémon Events!
What do I need to bring with me to play in a tournament?
- Photo Identification
- Player ID
- A fully charged and up-to-date Nintendo 2DS, Nintendo 2DS XL, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, New Nintendo 3DS or New Nintendo 3DS XL system
- A fully up-to-date copy of Pokémon UltraSun or Pokémon UltraMoon
- A team of tournament-legal Pokémon
- Players are strongly encouraged to bring a charger for their systems, as tournament staff will not have chargers available for loan. Charging stations will be made available to use your own charger.
- A completed Registration Team Sheet, which can be downloaded here.
- NO Nintendo Switch or Pokémon Sword and Shield will be used at Brisbane regionals
- Please stay tuned for updates as rules may change after the Brisbane regional!
- A completed decklist, which can be downloaded here.
- English cards only
- A 60 card, standard format deck
How do I register for the Pokémon Regional Championships?
Players must register online to secure themselves a tournament entry.
Limited registration spots may be open on-site on the day of each event, however registration caps will still apply. Please check each city in the navigation bar for times & registration links.
Please ensure you have your Pokémon Player ID available. If you don’t have a Pokémon Player ID, one will be provided.
How much does it cost to register?
The cost of the event will vary depending on the division a player is in.
- For Masters division players, the pre-registration fee is $30AUD*
- For Juniors and Seniors division players the pre-registration fee is $20AUD*
*regular price $35AUD for Masters and $25AUD for Seniors and Juniors
What payment options will be available on the day?
EFT services and cash payment will be available.
Will smoke from the recent bushfires impact the event at all?
Recent events will not impact the operation of the tournament, although we are monitoring the AQI (Air Quality Index) around Melbourne and suggest regional players travelling to the event keep an eye on Victorian government channels closer to the event for the latest safety recommendations.
What is the tournament structure?
The tournament structure will be Best of 3 Swiss Rounds, with Single Elimination Top Cut.
How many players are allowed to compete?
Please note that the following caps to the number of competing players apply*:
* These are soft venue caps. We will endeavour to provide additional capacity beyond that stated above, but can not guarantee it. If you wish to guarantee yourself entry, we advise you to attend the venue early on Saturday morning, where registration will open at 8am.
Can I attend the event as a spectator?
Spectators are welcome to attend the event to watch matches, however can not participate unless having paid for registration.
Can I bring in food and drink to the venue and is there food nearby?
You may bring in bottles of water to each venue. All other beverages and food must be consumed prior to entering the venue or thrown away in the appropriate places.
At each of the venues there are multiple places nearby where players and family members can purchase food and drinks.
How do I get to the event?
Each Pokémon Regional Championship will have their own recommended transport method. Please see each individual city for details of local transport requirements, including public transport and nearby parking facilities.
Are these family friendly events?
The Pokémon Regional Championships are family friendly events, with attendees consisting of a diverse range of ages and cultural backgrounds.
Drugs and alcohol will not be permitted at these events. Persons who are found in possession of or under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol will be asked to leave the venue.
Likewise, inappropriate or offensive language will not be tolerated.
For assistance, please email email@example.com